EXCHANGE OF YOUR SPANISH RESIDENCY PERMIT BEFORE BREXIT
Following instructions from Spanish Foreigners Office, from 6th July and until the 31st December 2020 -providing there is no extension of the transition period-, all UK nationals willing to keep their condition as residents in Spain after Brexit could exchange their green residency permits for new ones called “TIE” (non-EU residency cards). For the moment it is just an option, but these non-EU residency cards could be compulsory after transition period as per information from the Foreigners Office.
You could be in any of these situations:
- TEMPORARY RESIDENCY CARD
- If you have legally lived in Spain less than 5 years – you can exchange it for the new residency permit that will be valid for 5 years.
- If you have legally lived in Spain more than 5 years, but you do not have the permanent residency card – you can exchange it for the new residency permit that will be valid for 10 years.
- PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD
- You must exchange your permanent residency card for the new residency permit that will be valid for 10 years.
The process is quite simple:
- Obtaining appointment at the Foreigners Office (Brexit)
- First visit: submitting the application.
This time you would need to bring a photograph and they will take your finger print.
You will need to pay a small administrative fee.
- Waiting for a couple of weeks until card is ready
- Second visit: collecting your new residency card
It is quite important to exchange your residency card before the end of transition period, otherwise the green card would no longer be valid and you would need to apply for residency with strict conditions for non-EU citizens.
If you would need any further information or assistance on our behalf, do not hesitate to let us know.at www.andalucia-lawyers.com